Decarbonising the real estate sector is an urgent and pressing need; a challenge that COP26 highlighted. Consequently, ESG considerations are increasingly defining both investor and occupier decisions. In Europe, ESG is already actively shaping the assets and geographies in demand, a trend set to spread globally over coming periods. Throughout 2021, Savills engaged our in-house sustainability expertise to audit the Group’s carbon footprint and recommend the strategy for progressing to net Zero. The 2021 Annual Report contains the Group’s first report under the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (‘TCFD’) framework. In summary, we have achieved significant reductions in Scope 1 and 2 CO2 emissions since 2016, which represented 6,738 tonnes CO2e in 2021. We are committing to Science-Based Targets to deliver our goals, consistent with a no greater than 1.5°C temperature increase, of achieving Scope 1 and 2 net zero by 2030 and net zero in our value chain (ie Scope 3, including assets under the Group’s control) by 2040.
The Group’s sustainability strategy aims to achieve a positive impact on the environment and society, whilst maintaining robust governance measures. We have aligned our Group business strategy with 9 of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
- Good Health & Wellbeing - our goal is to provide healthy workplaces, encourage healthy lifestyles and raise awareness of mental health & wellbeing
- Quality Education - we aim to create opportunities for growth and development for our people and within the communities that we impact
- Gender Equality - we actively promote gender equality and aim to create a diverse and inclusive environment for all
- Affordable & Clean Energy - we aim to maximise energy efficiency, minimise carbon emissions and work continuously towards net zero carbon targets globally
- Decent Work and Economic Growth - we are committed to operating responsibly and providing fair, safe and diverse workplaces
- Sustainable Cities and Communities - we work with government, national and local communities to create sustainable places
- Responsible Consumption and Production - we seek to reduce our environmental impacts through active operational management and responsible procurement
- Climate Action - work continuously to reduce carbon emissions and remain aligned to TCFD (Task Force for Climate Related Disclosure)
- Life On Land - we expect our suppliers to operate responsibly and seek to protect biodiversity and ecosystems.